So…You are engaged!! Congratulations. Now come the questions from others about where, what date and the decor. Planning can be stressful and to help we have put together a list of simple things to do before contacting your florist. The first consult will lay the groundwork for your special day. It allows us to build on your ideas and make suggestions to complete your look.
1. Pick your color scheme – Something that is very important in order to choose the types of flowers and designs for your wedding day is to have an idea on your color scheme. Flowers come in a variety of colors but not every flower comes in every color so it is important to narrow the colors down. What color dress will the bridesmaids where? The groomsmen? Do you have an idea of what linens you want? A great way to begin this is to create a pinterest board. You can send this along with any notes to your florist.
2. Write down your dreams and your dislikes – Maybe you absolutely love peonies but you hate hydrangea. Or maybe you want your bouquet to smell like heaven or perhaps you are allergic to fragrance. Whatever it may be, if you have anything you CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT, it is important for your florist/event designer to know these things. Chances are you’ve been dreaming up this day for a while, so write those dreams up and send them our way.
3. Decide how many in the wedding party and approximately how many guests – In order to get a good quote it is important for your florist to know how many bouquets, boutonnieres and centerpieces will be part of the celebration. Need alter pieces? Include that as well.
4. Start thinking of the season or date – Weddings season in New England tends to be in September-October and again in May-June. If you can get a date down solid with your venue then pass this information along to the event and floral designer as things during busy season tend to book up fast. This is also helpful because the florist can tell you what flowers are in season during your date and what will either be a higher cost or impossible to get.
5. Have some fun!! – Wedding planning doesn’t have to be terribly stressful. Have some fun with this by creating a pinterest board of your dreams, planning your honeymoon or your staycation moon and dream of the days post wedding when you get to open gifts and leave the planning behind. We want you to enjoy this process so if anything pops into your head, write it down and make a special time just for planning.